If you’re a home improvement junkie, then you’ve probably heard of an orbital sander for drywall. I love exploring cool DIY projects for my house. That’s why I find orbital sanders an interesting product. The reason behind that is that they’re light in weight, faster than hand-sanding, and easy to use. They’re perfect for those small DIY projects to make a few tweaks in your home. Orbital sanders are used in many things: smoothing surfaces, removing materials, and overall prepping surfaces.
However, just to be clear, an orbital sander works absolutely well for smaller-sized projects. If you’re planning on using this tool for a large or complex home improvement project, it might not work well for you. There are other drywall sanding tools much more suitable for these kinds of projects.
Take into consideration that even though an orbital sander for drywall is a tool that’s easy to use and doesn’t require a professional, it still needs to be handled with caution and the right technique to avoid ruining the surface. Don’t assume you can try working with this tool on your own without a professional nearby without risking ruining the whole surface. If you’re a newbie, it’s best if you practice beforehand or has an experienced individual nearby to guide you.
- 1 Best Orbital Sander for Drywall
- 1.1 Best Overall: BOSCH OS50VC Electric Orbital Sander - 3.4 Amp 1/2 Inch Finishing Belt Sander Kit with Vibration Control for 4.5 Inch x 9 Inch Sheets , Blue
- 1.2 Best for Comfort: Festool 571935 Drywall Sander LHS-E 225 EQ PLANEX Easy
- 1.3 Best For High Ceilings: WEN 6369 Variable Speed 5 Amp Drywall Sander with 15' Hose
- 1.4 Most Accessories: F2C Electric Drywall Sander 800w Adjustable Variable 6 Speed Disc Sander w/ 6 Sand Pads, 1000-2000RPM
- 1.5 Most Budget-Friendly: WEN 6362 10-Amp Variable Speed Handheld Drywall Sander with Sandpaper, Dust Hose and Collection Bag
- 2 Conclusion
Best Orbital Sander for Drywall
Here are our top picks, after 48 hours of intensive research and testing.
Best Overall: BOSCH OS50VC Electric Orbital Sander - 3.4 Amp 1/2 Inch Finishing Belt Sander Kit with Vibration Control for 4.5 Inch x 9 Inch Sheets , BlueCheck on Amazon
If you’re looking for power and performance, this Bosch orbital sander for drywall is your answer. The quality and power of this tool are unbeaten. The performance is spectacular. You get perfect finishes with the roughest of walls. What makes this tool this powerful is the 3.4 AMP motors removal rate, and the sanding pad’s high speed. Both working together create a tool that delivers exceptional results even on the roughest surfaces.
- Good after-sales service
- Exceptional performance
- The motor is powerful even on the roughest surfaces
- Sanding pads work on a high speed which deliver stunning finishes
- Doesn’t get overheated when used for a long time
- Includes a paper-tensioning mechanism for easy installing and uninstalling of sandpaper
- Weak dust cannister
The Bosch OS50VC Electric Orbital Sander is by far the best orbital sander for drywall in the market. It features the best of both worlds – performance and reliability. Of course, this comes at a price. The price tag of this tool isn’t out of the world. In fact, I find that the money invested in this sander is worth it. The only comment I have is that it doesn’t come with a long handle, hence, the inability to reach high areas.
Best for Comfort: Festool 571935 Drywall Sander LHS-E 225 EQ PLANEX EasyCheck on Amazon
This Drywall Sander is perfect for those looking for comfort as it is from the lightest drywall sanders in the market. Also, the instructions to set up the tool are clear simple. With its low weight combined with its perfect balance, this tool aims to minimize fatigue as much as possible.
- Light and perfectly balanced to decrease fatigue caused by prolonged usage
- Comes with a three-year service all-inclusive warranty
- The head design is very flexible which supports easier sanding and movement
- Idle engine speed 400-920 RPM
- Abrasive diameter: 8.9” (225mm)
- Direct-drive brushless motor
- Long-handle for hard to reach areas
- More on the expensive side
This Festool 571935 Drywall Sander is one of the lightest drywalls available in the market. It only weighs 7.93 lbs. It is the perfect tool for someone who uses a drywall sander a lot or wants to reach high areas. As the features available in this tool make it comfortable for longer use and high areas.
Best For High Ceilings: WEN 6369 Variable Speed 5 Amp Drywall Sander with 15' HoseCheck on Amazon
This Drywall Sander comes with great features. The first of them being its 5 feet handle and its 9 lbs weight. You won’t need a chair to reach the ceiling. Not only this, but the tool comes with an automatic dust removal feature which is such a superior feature.
- Comes with a speed adjuster that varies from 600 to 1500 RPM
- 60, 80, 120, 150, 180 and 240 grit hool-and-loop 9-inch sanding discs are included
- Easy storage
- Has a long handle and is light in weight
- Includes and automated system that removes dust for easy cleaning
- Hook-and-loop base pad for easy sandpaper changing
- The motor is powerful
- The filter used requires you to clean it frequently
The overall impression on this drywall Sandler is good. It comes with all the needed features and with a fair price point. The best part about this drywall Sandler is the long handle and the lightweight. Pain in the arms from working with a Sandler is the worst. You mustn’t overlook this feature if you’re planning on using this tool a lot or for a long period of time. With the powerful motor of this tool, any task done with it can be easily finished.
Most Accessories: F2C Electric Drywall Sander 800w Adjustable Variable 6 Speed Disc Sander w/ 6 Sand Pads, 1000-2000RPMCheck on Amazon
The FCF Electric Drywall Sander has a lot of outstanding features. I mean, have you ever seen a sander with that many accessories? It is overwhelming the number of accessories that come with it. Also, this orbital sander for drywall is more on the lightweight side which makes it easy to carry wherever you go. Also, with the long handle, you can reach high areas without needing a stool. The grip on the handle is soft for added comfort.
- Comes with six sander discs of a diameter of 8.8 inches
- Includes a speed control ranging from 1,000 to 2,000 RPM
- The sander is lightweight and easy to carry around
- Comes with a long handle for reachability
- The grip on the handle is soft for added comfort
- The head can rotate 360 degrees to reach every corner
- The head can swing up and down and from one side to the other to automatically adjust uneven walls
- Carries on with the operation smoothly
- The motor’s power isn’t significant
The bottom line, this tool is more for someone looking to even out an uneven wall. I wouldn’t recommend it for very rough surfaces as the motor power isn’t very powerful. It delivers a good finish. Comes with a ton of accessories. Has a long handle with a comfortable grip. This sander comes with many options. The overall operation runs smoothly with this tool.
Most Budget-Friendly: WEN 6362 10-Amp Variable Speed Handheld Drywall Sander with Sandpaper, Dust Hose and Collection BagCheck on Amazon
The last sander on my list is this WEN 6362 Sandler, but that doesn’t mean that this one doesn’t have good features as well. The main advantage of this tool is the price tag. It is significantly cheaper than most on the market. It also comes with a number of accessories.
- Includes a built-in dust removal system with a 7.5 foot dust hose for easy clean up
- A hook-and-loop base pad that is 8.5-inch for easy replacement of sandpaper
- 10-amp motor with a variable speed ranging from 1500 to 2300 RPM
- Comes with its own dust collection bag, two dust hose adapters, dust collection hoses, a shoulder strap, and eight sandpapers
- The reversible auxiliary handle is suitable for both left-handed and right-handed people using this tool
- Doesn’t have a long handle, hence, the inability to reach ceilings unless using a stool
- The motor isn’t so powerful
The WEN 6362 is a suitable option for those of you looking for a good finish without breaking the bank. Its price tag is this tool’s most significant feature, but as for the performance, there are many drywall sanders that perform better than this one. If you’re looking for a long-term tool to invest in, I don’t recommend this one, but for short-term usage, it sure does get the job done.
Depending on your needs, level of expertise, and the money you’re willing to spend, you can find the best orbital sander for drywall that fits your particular situation. Every sander also performs best depending on the project you’re using it for. Some have very powerful motors and work great with rough surfaces, others aren’t that powerful and are good if you solely need to even out an uneven wall. Therefore, you need to perfectly identify the type of project before making this decision. Some drywall sanders have long handles, others don’t which makes them inconvenient for high ceilings. Unless you don’t mind using a stool. Also, your choice depends on whether you’re buying this drywall sander for short-term usage or you want to invest in a high-quality sander and don’t mind splurging a bit.
There are many aspects to consider before making this purchase decision. However, I hope that with the products I have discussed and guidance, you are now able to decide on a drywall sander to purchase or have at least narrowed down your options.